Friday, August 29, 2008

Reflections... by greg


Today marks my first full week back in the U.S. I decided to return to RI a couple weeks before Amy to take care of some things here. As I reflect on the past year and my experiences, I'm finding it difficult to put my thoughts into words. My emotions frequently change from one minute to the next. It truly seems like I left one world and entered another. The differences between where I was a week ago and where I am now are too numerous to even begin to list. As I sat in a restaurant last night with my parents looking over the many food items on the expansive menu, I couldn't help recall that just 5 days ago I was eating chicken foot soup at a friend's house. As I was driving today I was reminded that my only options for transportation for an entire year were taxi, bus, or walk. Never has my position of wealth and privilege as a North American been more clear. Never has the divide between the "have" and "have nots" been more obvious to me. I'm processing many questions in response to these observations. How is it that I was born in the U.S., a country with incredible wealth and opportunity, and not in Ecuador, a country with little opportunity and widespread poverty? How did I end up with two loving and supportive parents when most of the children I spent time with live with one parent and have little or no contact with the other? These questions along with many others have been floating around in my head and lead to even greater questions. Given my position of wealth, how do I respond to those less fortunate? Given my gifts and talents, how do I use them to serve those in need? How do I encourage and support those around me to engage in ministry/programs that serve the hurting people of this world? This is not the first time I've asked myself these questions, but yet again I find them at the forefront of my mind. I guess that's because I never want to loose sight of all I've been given and my responsibility to give back. I never want to be so wrapped up in my life and the things of this world that I forget the joy that comes from serving others. I never want to get so busy that I miss the simple things in life that bring us happiness. I experienced this day after day while laughing and playing with the children of the soup kitchen.
This year in Ecuador had many seasons for me. There were times of great joy and tremendous frustration. There were times when Amy and I were so busy that the week went by in a flash, and other times when I thought the week would never end. There were times when I was ready to board a plane back to the U.S. (like after I was attacked by a dog) and other times when I didn't want to ever leave the soup kitchen. I faced times of depression and loneliness unique within my life. God revealed new things to Amy and I dreams and desires as a couple. God also provided for us in so so many ways (safety, finances, peace of mind) during our time here.
I leave knowing a few things. I have a new found respect for anyone who leaves the country they grew up in to serve in another. I love working with children and experiencing the joy that comes with making children laugh along with helping them forget their difficult surroundings, even if for a little while. I know God has called me to remember and continue to invest in the lives of those I shared my life with for the past year.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Greg, This is a beautiful and touching commentary on your year in Ecuador. How fortunate we are to have a son that wants to help others, who's heart is in the right place and who has brought joy and laughter to so many young children. We are sure that this past year is one you will always remember and reflect on often. As you said, you've learned how strong the human spirit is, even in conditions that are deplorable and also the vast division of the "haves and have nots". It is hard to comprehend why the world exists as it does. Just know that both you and Amy have made a profound impact on young hearts and the Lord is smiling down on you both. It's wonderful having you here in RI and we cherish each day that you are here. We are truly blessed. Well done, good and faithful servant. Love, Mom & Dad.

Anonymous said...

Where does one begin when there is so much to say and not enough space to say it all!! Your time in Ecuador has been both rewarding and very challenging and what a testament you have been to Gods great love for us and no matter what the challenge is he is always with us!! Your love and commitment has truly shined through it all. We are so thankful God has blessed us not only with Amy but you as well.
Your love and commitment for the children of Ecuador will be remembered by so many from afar and here.
WE pray for you both as you as you begin another chapter in your marriage as well as your personal lives.
We thank you for the special people you both are and for the difference you have made in the lives of others. We love you! MOm& Dad G

Anonymous said...

God, how I love you, brother. I am so looking forward to seeing you and Amy again and hearing more about your experiences and newfound insights. Your and Amy's obedience to Christ and willingness to "lose your life for His sake" in order to find it and to serve others as the Lord's hands and feet is beautiful and inspiring to me. I am honored to be your brother and friend and look forward to learning whatever the Lord has to teach me through you and Amy as we spend time together in the next season of your lives. -- your eternal friend, Chris