Monday, March 24, 2008

Easter in Rio Bamba



































We spent last week working in Rio Bamba (about 3 hours away from Quito) with a medical team from Pennslyvania. Our accommodations were barracks on a military base. We received a very warm welcome and had a wealth of help from the military there. They threw us a big fiesta at the end of our week complete with a band playing Bolivian music. We even got to ride on tanks from the 1950's! We worked out of a large church in the center of town for 3 full days. The two doctors and six nurses on the team provided free medical exams and medicine to 150 adults and children each day. Greg and I helped by passing out packets of vitamins and anti parasitic medicine to each person that came in. I also worked in the Pharmacy as a translator, explaining how much/when/why to take the medicines the doctors recommended. In addition to the medical clinics, we did one day of Happy Feet, washing kids feet and passing out new socks and shoes to them. Even though we have done this many times in the past, it never fails to humble us when we see really dirty, blistered feet and shoes that are worn to the sole with holes in the toes. On Good Friday, the team bought food to cook a hot lunch for 200 people of the community. It was a great week of sharing the love of Christ with people by ministering to their physical, emotional, and spiritual needs.


Greg and I also colored Easter eggs with the kids on Friday, which was a completely new experience for all who participated. The following story sums up the whole experience. Because of the number of children , each child was only allowed to color one egg. One little boy who had just colored an egg came up to me and asked me if he could color another one. When I asked him where his egg went he said "En mi barriga" (in my belly). I wasn't sure if I understood him correctly, so I asked him, "you ate it?" to which he replied, "rapidito" (very fast). Most of the children were so hungry, they didn't really care about the dying or the decoration- they just wanted to eat their egg!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow!!This is one Easter holiday you will never forget and what a blessing to be a part of the team and help out.I am sure those children will never forget you as well as your experience there.I wish I could have been there with you.Once again it makes me appreciate the abundant life we have in the USA.
Cant wait to see you soon. Love Mom& Dad

Anonymous said...

What wonderful things you are doing there for all of those people!!! More people should read about what you have done and are doing...God Bless You Both!!! I would have loved to do something like you are doing back in my youth!!! Keep up the wonderful things you are doing...it isn't going unnoticed.
Love you,
Sandie & Ray

Nikki Crockett said...

Ok, I must be extra emotional today because for some reason your pictures turned me into a weeping willow. I love the picture of the little girl holding the turquoise egg and looking at the camera. Those dark eyes, so beautiful. And the easter egg story, gee whiz...I don't think I'll ever be able to dye eggs again! Can't wait to hear all about your fun trip. It looks like it was fantabulous.

Anonymous said...

Wow What a beautiful week of sharing with all those children. I just am crying here reading the story of the little boy and his hungry belly. God has bless them with you guys and all the volunteers and may they know God loves them. we love you, keeping you in our prayers. aunt karen and uncle greg.

Robinson Family said...

Happy Easter! Sounds like you all had your most memorable one yet. Keep up the great job being Jesus to those kids!

Anonymous said...

Hi Amy &Greg. Wow, what a way to spend Easter. Your pictures are fantastic, those children look so happy and so thankful for those eggs, makes me sad to realize how much we take for granted like coloring eggs and having egg hunts when they just want to eat them. You are doing great things there, making the children so happy and also teaching them about Jesus, I'm sure "He's" smiling in heaven down on you 2. Keep up the wonderful work and informing us of the results. Love, Grandma Joan